In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1) 
by Rae Carson 
Release Date: September 10th, 2011
Publisher: Greenwillow 
Genre: YA Fantasy 
Format: Paperback, 423 pages
Source: Bought @ JMMS book fair
ISBN: 978-0-545-49894-4
Get a Copy: B&N | Amazon

Goodreads Summary: Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
Elisa is the chosen one. 

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. 

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.


Cindy's Review: My friend recommended this book and when I saw it at the book fair for just four dollars, I had to buy it. ;D It was free for me too. ;D Omg. Cuz I know the librarian and I got this coupon.

I really didn't get the cover at first. But I get why there's a gem now. The story kind of revolves around her gem. 

"I almost forgot. Happy birthday, Lucero-Elisa."
That's  when my view of Alexander kind of changed. ;)

The Characters: 
Elisa - Elisa is the chosen one of the century. I don't really get what the chosen one is.....ummm... Anyways, Elise is the chosen one and a  lot of people would want to get their hands on her. To keep her safe, Elise's father, whose a king of a tiny kingdom, married her off to a young king, whose controls a larger kingdom. It was a secret marriage. Her marriage signifies alliance between the two kingdoms. Elisa has gems on her belly. And they are hard and they're warm. They also give her warnings and the gems signifies that she is the chosen one. Personally, I think having warm gems growing out of  your belly is weird. 

"Be well, Elisa, little sister."
I just want to cry at this part. Elisa doesn't understand how much her sister actually cares about her. Yeah. I'm a sucker to these really sad family relationships. 

Alejandro - Okay so, moving on, so I don't sound so awkward. At first, I thought Alexander was an old, perverted king. But it turns out he's pretty young. But he already has a wife. And a son. I'm actually cool that he has a son, cuz that just reminds me of Brigan from Fire by Kristin Cashore. Brigan was hot. ;D So later on, I kind of wanted Elise to end up with Alexander, but...She just had to get kidnapped and fall for another guy. Ohmergerd.  P.S. Anytime you see Alexander, change it to Alejandro. Apparently,  I got the names wrong. Srry about that. 

"You may address me as Lady Elisa."
Woah. Bitchy much? Sorry. I didn't mean that, but I don't understand why she's supposed to act like that. 0.

Humberto - It's not that I don't like Humberto. And his name is kinda weird. But he just popped up out of nowhere. When Elise left on her 'adventure' I can't say she was kidnapped anymore cuz she's willing to stay with her kidnappers and help them. Elise kind of still thinks about Alexander and miss him. I was expecting her to end up with Alexander. And then Humberto came out, and she started falling for Humberto. I'm just like wait what? Apparently, she has something with Humberto she had never felt with Alexander. Well, I guess Humberto is younger....

"My lips look like fat slugs and my eyes are far too small."
I didn't like how she criticized herself in the beginning. I'm glad she actually accepted herself in the end . Or near the middle.

Hector - Hector is kind of like her best friend, not including her two maids. Elise can feel happy and carefree with him At first, there was hints of romance sparkle between Elise and Hector. I noticed. "His eye is the deepest blue I've seen". That's what you would think if you liked someone. At least in bookwise. LOL. Now I kind of get what that sparkle is about.

"Is there something between you and Arina?"
Ugh. Alejandro got to have a mistress. I hope Arina ends up dying in a stuffy, black pit with no one but herself. She acts so nice in front of Alejandro. There's always a faker in a book though. ;/

The Good/Bad: 
Because of the unexpected events that happened in book one, I can't wait to read book two. Rosario is just so cute. Rosario is Alejandro's son. This book was pretty good, but I think it could have been better. Like the scenes, especially near the end kind of happened pretty fast. I had to do a double take and realize what just happened.  The ending gave me the impression of 'what's going to happen now?' Also, I think the main character was too straightforward. Like she talks too plain. No twist in her words. Like telling a summary, you know? 

Reading the synopsis of the second and third book It spoiled a lot for me, so I suggest you don't read the synopsis of the third book until you read book 2. I learned what the sparkle between Hector and Elise is about. Yeah. I just gave it away. The romance of this book wasn't that good either. To me, it was like leap frog. She lept from one to another to another. I wish she would just stay devoted to just one boy. But I guess she can do that now. <- You'll have to read the book to get that. 

I can't say this book was that bad though. It was pretty interesting. I read it through one sitting. There was quite a character change though. Elise became much more wise and smart. I actually feel proud of her. She also stuck up to being called 'fat' and unwanted. I appreciate her for being so strong and confident. 

"They would have been well-matched, my husband and my sister."
Hmmmm.....

 Overall, if you're bored and if you have absolutely no books to read, you can read this book! ;D 

Rating: (1-10): 8.6
I tend to give high raitings. And I can't give this book a seven because they're are books worse than this and I gave it a seven. So yeah.....

Happy Reading~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!