In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Monday, May 20, 2013

Book Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection, #2)The Elite (The Selection #2) 
by Kiera Cass
Release Date: April 23rd, 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: YA Fantasy
Format: Hardcover, 323 pages
Source: Bought 
ISBN: 978-0-06-205996-3
Get a Copy: B&N | Amazon 

Goodreads Summary: The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestsellerThe Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

Cindy's Review: For those who never read The Selection, this review most likely won't make sense. So either go read the book ;D or read my review: The Selection

I read this book like so long ago it's last month, but it feels really long ago Why do I have to wait that long to review? Omg. I forget stuff. But then, I'm super lazy, I don't review it immediately after I finish reading. I have a review pile. And it's still huge now. There's gonna always be a review pile like 24/7. Last time I finished reviewing the whole pile was when I had nothing to read. Now.....well, I'm running out of time to even read due to all school stuff. You don't even want to look at my calendar. I only review on the weekends, so that makes thing worst. And I went to the Bay Area 2013 Maker Faire yesterday btw, which was a Saturday. I'm typing this on a Sunday.  I schedule my posts over the week, so that explains why this doesn't make sense. 

Well, so don't blame me if I forget some stuff. I'm surprised I actually spent a whole paragraph or more  on myself. Now for those who are waiting for the review. I'm getting to the point.....

The Cover: 
I really love those covers. They have amazing dresses and it just gives The Selection feeling to it. I kind of like The Selection cover better. I think that dress is prettier. And I like blue more than red. ;D Okay, yeah. I'm so weird. I ALWAYS have to talk about covers. I know. But then, I try to relate the cover to the story, so I hope that's better.  I don't remember if there was a red dress scene in The Elite. Was there a scene where queen b**** Celeste ripped her dress? Or was that a scene in The Selection. I'm pretty sure that dress was red. Or maybe not. But I'm not sure which book that scene is from.

Okay. Let's move on to the plot and characters. I'm talking so much. Ugh. 

The Characters: 
America Singer - You know, I feel like America got more sure of herself. She isn't that shy. And when Aspen goes to her, she won't be like 'You can't be near me! Go back to work!' She would let Aspen hug her or something. America says she feels like she' s being used by Maxon, but I get the feeling that she's using him. Despite how much, America seems to be saying, she likes Maxon, but she likes Aspen, I still feel like America is just using Maxon. For example, whenever something happens, America literally runs to Aspen and asks for a hug or kiss. I mean, JUST MAKE UP YOUR MIND LADY! Even though I bet the book was written to make readers like this. 

Aspen - So in the review of The Selection, I mentioned that I disliked Aspen and America should end up with Maxon. I don't really hate Aspen that much anymore. I mean, he's Aspen, a boy who lost the love of his life and striving to get her back. I think the real fault is America. If America doesn't let Aspen hug and kiss her, then it wouldn't have happened. Aspen wouldn't have forced her. America is totally cheating on Maxon. And then, there was this time period where America didn't really interact with Maxon at all, I'm just like, Ohmygawd.....America!! Yeah. She's driving me nuts. The bad way.

Maxon - Okay. I admit. I can't fangurl all over Maxon and be like, 'He's so goddamn cute. And gorgeous." I just can't. Maybe he is. But like, Maxon changed a bit in The Elite. It's like he grew up. I don't like how he has all these Celeste moments. I mean, like they were making out. But that doesn't compare to Aspen and America kissing, but the AA kiss actually have deep feelings. Which I don't want. And plus, Maxon really does like America. Like there's no other person in his heart. Unlike someone.

You see, this book has got me quite worked up. The love-triangle drives me crazy. I totally won't die if America chooses Aspen, but I still want America to end up with Maxon. What kills me though, is when America have to run to Aspen when she wants support. I mean, just go to Maxon., sheesh. That's what he's there for! 

The Plot: 
*Takes a deep breath. Okay. I'm over this. Let's talk more about the plot than my thoughts of the main characters. There was definitely more action in The Elite. There were more cute scenes for Maxon and America. And there also definitely more scenes for Aspen and America. I'm glad this second book wasn't a slow motion read. 

This book started with 6 girls remaining. By the end of it though, there's only 5, so one girl was eliminated. 

For those who haven't read this series, like OHMYGAWD YOU SHOULD READ IT. <- not lying over here. 

The Rating:(1-10) ~10, 9.96.....
Yeah. I give really confusing ratings. I mean, this book totally deserves a 10, but I just have this big thing about never giving book series a 10. I just feel like stand-alones or the first book in a series deserves a 10.

Happy Reading~ 
 
P.S. And yeah. No quotes, cuz I was too focused on reading......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!