In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1)The Selection (The Selection #1)
By Kiera Cass
Released Date: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: ebook, 327 pages
Get a Copy:
            Barnes and Nobles
            Amazon

Goodreads Summary: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Cindy's Review: This book was recommended to me by my book buddy, Liana @ Book Addict. And I must certainly say. It's as good as she says it.  And yes, it's another one of my lovely dystopian novels!! ;)

Cover:
I love the cover. It's so attractive. And I love the bluish hue color, since it is my favorite cover. I love covers where they have dresses. At the same time, I'm checking out the dress. It's pretty. I like how all the other girls are wearing the same exact dress. Okay. Enough about the cover. You guys must think I only think about the cover. LOL.

Characters: 
The main character, America Singer has a very outgoing, lively personality. And also an unique name. America Singer. She might as well be an American Singer. LOL. Ok Lame. Anyways, America is a Five and when she was picked to become a princess-in-training, she was changed to a Three. 

The level goes from a One to a Seven or even Eight. Only Prince Maxon is One, and the highest the rest of the citizens could be is a Two. 

Aspen is America's first love. America secretly sneaks out at night to meet him. To give him food, more like. Aspen is a Six (or was it Seven?), which is basically a servant and way low in the system. Aspen is okay, but soon he became annoying. I mean. Like, get away from America! She has Maxon! Like stop separating them! Jeez.

So it leads us on to Prince Maxon. Maxon is like a really cool type of guy.He's mischievous  and did I mention handsome? The perfect type of guy there is. I think he really matches America. America should totally forget about Aspen and move on with her life and stay with Maxon forever. 

I think America would make  a really good princess/queen. She is directing, but kind. Outgoing and funny, but knows how to not cross the line. She's like also perfect. I envy her. It's Aspen whose in the way. 

Concept/Plot:

The Selection reminds me of Matched because the whole future society and how there are levels/classes and the whole 'controlled by king' thing. It also reminds me of The Princess Academy, a little bit, of how there is a whole bunch of girls in training to marry the prince. 

Either way, I really like the plot of this book. I like the whole the pick of one girl from each province and the prince has to pick one girl to marry. The whole friends with benefits thing America has with Maxon is so totally amazing~ ;)

Rate: (1-10): 9.9
It's super close to my favorite dystopian novels, but the click it had with me wasn't hard enough to pop my ears. But I must say, it is enough for me to put on my favorite book list!! :) That's reminds me, I gotta update my Book Recommendations. ;)

For ebooks, I don't really do quotes since I'm too lazy to go on my iPod and search up the quotes and stuff. 

So guys, I really recommend this book as it was once recommended to me. :)

Continue reading your butts off~
And also, Happy Veteran's Day!


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this book! So far, it's my favorite book of 2012. I'm glad to hear that you really liked it as well. :) I'm definitely rooting for Prince Maxon! I seriously hope that the show makes it onto the CW. Last I heard, it still was. Thanks for the review. :)

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!