In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Book Review: Between by Jessica Warman

BetweenBetween
by Jessica Warman
Release Date: August 2nd, 2011
Publisher: Walker & Company
Format: Paperback ARC, 454 pages
ISBN: 978-0-8027-2182-2
Get a Copy: 
       Barnes and Nobles
       Amazon

Goodreads  Summary: Elizabeth Valchar-pretty, popular, and perfect-wakes up the morning after her eighteenth birthday party on her family's yacht, where she'd been celebrating with her six closest friends. A persistent thumping noise has roused her. When she goes to investigate, what she finds will change everything she thought she knew about her life, her friends, and everything in between. As Liz begins to unravel the circumstances surrounding her birthday night, she will find that no one around her, least of all Liz herself, was perfect-or innocent. Critically acclaimed author Jessica Warman brings readers along on a roller-coaster ride of a mystery, one that is also a heartbreaking character study, a touching romance, and ultimately a hopeful tale of redemption, love, and letting go.

Cindy's Review: This is once again, another book I got from the Teen Read Week thing. I guess I'm finally reading those books since I'm too busy to go to the library and I always need a paperback copy in my hand, even though I'm reading ebooks at the same time. Ebooks make my eyes hurt, so I always tend to have a paperback copy I'm currently reading. And in this case, it's the Teen Read Week books I got. Plus, I like ARC copies, so it works. ;)
The Cover: 
Okay, I really didn't think much about the cover this. It's more like, oh it's another free book. Yes! And then it just added to my stack. But now that I'm actually looking at it, it kinda seems scary to me. The girl looks like she had just been hanged or something. It somehow states that she is lonely with no one around her. And she has pretty legs. Omg. I had to notice that though. Yes. Seems like she's dangling from heaven, looking straight at hell sort of thing. 

The Characters:
The main character of this book is a girl named Elizabeth Valchar. She's pretty, popular, perfect, and also what you would call bitchy. As bitchy as she is, I have to hate this other character in this book even more and it's Elizabeth's step-sister, Josie. OMG. Josie is like a total bitch that has a nice cover. (Excuse my language, but like really!) She pretends to be nice when the whole time she's been-----. Okay. Can't say anything. But one thing I'll say is "Like mother, like daughter."

I'll tell you more about Josie's mom, if you would like. Josie's mom, Nicole, and Liz's dad, Marshall, were high school sweethearts. They went their separate ways at college. Somehow they met again at a small village, but Liz's dad already met Liz's mom, Lisa. Even when Lisa was there, Nicole would like hit on Marshall. Nicole even had Josie already, but the townspeople thinks Marshall is cheating on Lisa with Nicole. They think Josie was Marshall's and Nicole's. So, in the end, Lisa ended up starving herself and died. So I guess you can say, you it's obvious, that Nicole killed Lisa. And not only that. Only one week after Lisa's death, Nicole immediately divorced her husband and became Liz's step-mom. Like tf! Omg.  I hope I didn't say too much. But it's totally 'like mother, like daugher.' And it's not a good thing this time. 

So, also there was this other guy, who helped Liz a lot. His name was Alex (Delirium <3) and he died at the age of seventeen from a car accident. The car accident actually connects everything together in this book somehow. It's like the final piece of the puzzle but you like won't get me until you read the book, so I'm not exactly spoiling anything, I hope.

OH, and there's Ritchie, who was Liz's boyfriend. I won't tell you much about him, but one thing is, Josie started dating Ritchie like the day after Liz's funeral. Omg. Like mother-like daughter. Oh. I know you have an idea. But let me tell you, it's not the reason Liz died though. Or maybe it's a part of the reason, but it's not the main reason. I kinda told you the answer, not really. It's more like I"m giving you the last piece of puzzle before you even made the puzzle. lol.

The Plot:
It was Liz's eighteen birthday, and Nicole and Marshall let her host a birthday party at her boat called Elizabeth. Everyone was drunk and passed out to sleep. Liz woke up to a thumping sound on the boat. She couldn't wake up anything else, so she decided to go outside to investigate. When she went outside, she saw herself floating in the waters, dead. 

People are saying her death is a drowning accident, but was it, really? Apparently, everyone on the boat was sleeping and no one heard a thing. I think I'm giving you guys way too much clues. But I wanna kill that--- . omg. No spoiling. K. 

There, Liz meets Alex, who was just one of those loners at school where everyone teased. Alex, who was also dead, because of the car accident I mentioned, started helping Liz, even though he hates. They were the only two people who can see, touch, and hear each other.

Liz basically lost her memory. Have you read Neal Shusterman's Everlost? You know how they are in between life and death. Like yes, they are dead, but they aren't exactly in heaven or hell. Yeah. That's Alex and Liz. They are here because they have some unfinished business on Earth. Apparently, it's too teach them to move on from their death and know the reason why they died. Liz can go back to memories that happened when she was alive when she closes her eyes. She can't sleep, so that is a reason she's always really tired.  

Plot in one short sentence: Liz is trying to discover who is behind her death.

The Ending:
I must say, the ending was pretty peaceful. I must give props to Liz's faithful boyfriend, despite him being a drug dealer.

The Bad: 
Hmmm. I can't really say anything was bad. I mean, there was nothing wrong with it. The book was really interesting, so no complaints here.

The Good: 
Well, if there's no complaints, I can say there's also no comments. lol. I hope you don't take this the bad way, but it was a just a pleasure read.

Mmmm. A confession: As bitchy as Liz is, I cried so much for her in this book. For her boyfriend. Her life. Her death. Her mom. Nicole stealing her dad. Etc.

Rating: (1-10): 8.5 
My average rating. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quotes:
So guys, I finally got back to my quote reactions! At least, I actually put some sticky notes on the sides.

"In fact, it is what Nicole did. Right after my mom died. Like mother, like daughter."
That's where I got my phrase my from. Well, I heard of the phrase before I read this book, but this phrase really suits it really well.

"This is from the girl who stole five hundred dollars from me not two weeks ago."
Okay, I guess bitchy people have some bitchy friends as well. Not to be mean, but it's true.

"The world would be better off without you, Liz."

Ouch! But that came from a girl Liz was kinda going girl-crazy on. Pulling her hair etc. 

Okay. I have like three quotes, but it's a start. ;) 

Happy Reading~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!