In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Book Review: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer

Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips JournalStruck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal
by Chris Colfer
Release Date: November 20th, 2012
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Source: Library
Hardcover, 258 pages
Obtain a Copy:
      Barnes and Nobles
      Amazon

Goodreads Summary: Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal follows the story of outcast high school senior Carson Phillips, who blackmails the most popular students in his school into contributing to his literary journal to bolster his college application; his goal in life is to get into Northwestern and eventually become the editor of The New Yorker. At once laugh-out-loud funny, deliciously dark, and remarkably smart, Struck By Lightning unearths the dirt that lies just below the surface of high school. At a time when bullying torments so many young people today, this unique and important novel sheds light with humor and wit on an issue that deeply resonates with countless teens and readers.

Cindy's Review:
At first Glance/ The Cover:
Okey. So I picked up this book, but I read Chris Colfer's The Wishing Spell. The review was from quite a while ago, so it might look/sound weird. Because. Ya know, I AM weird.
I really liked Chris's writing. I thought The Wishing Spell wasn't full of creativity and just fabulous, I decided to read this one too.

The Characters:
Carson - So the main character is Carson. Duhh. And he's like the school geek/genius. Nobody really likes him, but Carson still protrudes on obtaining what he desires. Proud of my vocab. ;D I really need to work on vocabulary. Herher. When he wanted to start a literacy magazine, he did. He blackmailed those popular people to writing in his magazine.

But of course, for someone like him, there are definitely obstacles along the way. Obstacles he MIGHT not want to clear. The title definitely represents the ending, but that for you to discover. I don't want to be a walking dictionary, but you know, it's fun talking textbook style. Ummm. Well. At least in a blog post. I would NEVER do that in real life.

I would go on ahead and introduce other members of the book, aka the popular crowd, but that is Carson's job. *cough cough. ....when you read the book....

Carson is a really funny character. He cusses. So kids. If you just can't take bad words.....I suggest you stay away? There are some inappropriate scenes but guys, that's high school. Plus, he's really modern. Like there's 69 and those dirty jokes in this book. Hehe. Sounds like Chris is updated on the dirty trends going around. At school. I'm not sure if it's only school, but yeah. My school definitely thinks dirty. Omg. Kk.

Final Thoughts:
But this was really enjoyable. I think this book is meant for high schoolers. Unless, there's some middle grade students wouldn't think bad words are bad....and they actually get the dirty jokes. Okay. Like me. But I'm not in middle school anymore!! Yay~ Freshman in the fall! ;D 

So recommended for those who enjoy a laugh and a quick read, living as Carson's POV and understanding his dirty jokes. The ending though. Herher. Yeah. GO READ THE BOOK.

The Rating: (1-10): 8.8~ <3 
Middle grade read. Yeah. Because ya has romance. ;/ k. bye.

Happy Reading~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!