In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Book Review: Dance the Moon Down by R.L. Bartram

Dance the Moon DownDance the Moon Down
by Robert Bartram
Release Date: November 4th, 2011
Publisher: Authors Online
ebook, 300 pages
Source: Author
Attain a Copy:
       B&N | Amazon

Goodreads Summary: In 1910, no one believed there would ever be a war with Germany. Safe in her affluent middle-class life, the rumours held no significance for Victoria either. It was her father's decision to enroll her at university that began to change all that. There she befriendes the rebellious and outspoken Beryl Whittaker, an emergent suffragette, but it is her love for Gerald Avery, a talented young poet from a neighbouring university that sets the seal on her future. After a clandestine romance, they marry in January 1914, but with the outbreak of the First World War, Gerald volunteeres but within months has gone missing in France. Convinced that he is still alive, Victoria's initial attempts to discover what has become of him, implicate her in a murderous assault on Lord Kitchener resulting in her being interrogated as a spy, and later tempted to adultery. Now virtually destitute, Victoria is reduced to finding work as a common labourer on a run down farm, where she discovers a world of unimaginable ignorance and poverty. It is only her conviction that Gerald will some day return that sustaines her through the dark days of hardship and privation as her life becomes a battle of faith against adversity.

Cindy's Review:
At First Glance:
At first, there wasn't much positiveness in what I thought of the book. The cover, for instance. I definitely wouldn't read it if I just saw the cover. The red just reminds me of the devil. And the teaser. I don't read things that happen in the early 1900's Books were so boring back then. At least the books I have read. And plus, I don't do Victorian styles. The 1800's.....nyah. I can take. I do more medieval stuff. And future. Or modern. 

But hold on guys, it's just at a glance.

The Characters/Summaries:
Let's just say I really didn't expect the romance to be that good. The beginning was a bit slow. With the no marriage thing. And the whole eloping. Or secretly getting married. Hmmm. Pretty interesting. But then came the war. The recruiting. The having to go to war. Loosing her husband. And maybe he'll never come back. The romance. The adventures. ALL that pulled me in. I read till the end. 

Really. I really didn't expect that.

Victoria - Victoria proved to be a strong-willed, brave girl. And independent. And she can live well on her own. And as we all know from history, there isn't much independence woman can have back then. Reading this book had also taught me some history and it was actually, in fact, really fun to read. Even after loosing her husband, she tried to find work. She cried, but continued to stay strong and to live. I appreciate her for that. And really, there are many other ways she could have taken. Even though she did try for another escape, I'm glad that she found people in life she can look up to and trust. And for that, she can continue to live.

Historical fiction books are exactly what they are. Despite their made up story, they always teach some lesson in life. Unlike the dystopian and science fiction ones. Those are pure imaginations. Even though it's really fun and exciting to read about the future and romance, it's always good once in a while to get a lesson.

One huge lesson that always stands true. "Expect the unexpected" You think the world is ending? Think again. There are so many mysteries in this world that one cannot solve. What makes you think you can tell the future. The future maybe grim, but there's always sunlight. The sky maybe cloudy, or in day or another, sunlight will always beam through it. This lesson was definitely shown in this book, and I must say Victoria must be super happy she didn't choose the route that entitled to death.

Final Thoughts:
I'm sorry I made this short, but I felt like I talked a lot. LOL. And that totally felt like a book report I'm writing for school. Although I didn't mention that much about the book, I must say, go read it. It might teach a significant lesson that you never thought you have to learn. Maybe you'll see the book in a different way than me. Who knows.

This book kind of reminds me of Esperanza Rising. The lesson. The pain. And the results. Even though I read Esperanza like 3 times just for school. It never gets old. Because every time, we discover lessons we missed last time. Maybe it shall be the same for Dance the Moon Down. And also the setting. The farm. It turns out a farm can definitely give lots and lots and lots of lessons. Good ones.

And a little unlike Esperanza Rising, Dance the Moon Down is more focused on the romance. And it was a much shorter read. A desperation for the end and happy ending. Esperanza Rising has loops and twists that makes your feelings go on a roller coaster ride. 

So if you'd like a quick, short, historical read, why don't you try Dance the Moon Down?

The Rating:(1-10): 8~ 

Happy Reading~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!