In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Friday, March 15, 2013

Book Review: The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski

The Shadow SocietyThe Shadow Society
by Marie Rutkoski
Release Date: October 16th, 2012
Publisher: Farrar Staus Giroux
Format: Paperback ARC, 405 pages
Source: SL Public Library/Liana
ISBN: 978-0-374-34905-9
Get a Copy: 
      Barnes and Nobles
      Amazon

Goodreads Summary: Darcy Jones doesn’t remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. She has never really belonged anywhere—but she couldn’t have guessed that she comes from an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire didn’t happen and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.

Memories begin to haunt Darcy when a new boy arrives at her high school, and he makes her feel both desire and desired in a way she hadn’t thought possible. But Conn’s interest in her is confusing. It doesn’t line up with the way he first looked at her.

As if she were his enemy.

When Conn betrays Darcy, she realizes that she can’t rely on anything—not herself, not the laws of nature, and certainly not him. Darcy decides to infiltrate the Shadow Society and uncover the Shades’ latest terrorist plot. What she finds out will change her world forever . . .

In this smart, compulsively readable novel, master storyteller Marie Rutkoski has crafted an utterly original world, characters you won’t soon forget, and a tale full of intrigue and suspense. 


Cindy's Review: My friend got the ARC of this book without the lovely cover at this library thing I went with her. And I got to borrow it. So yaya! One of my other friends read this and said this was a good book, so I decided to try it. I also saw this book on other book blogs and I decided if it wasn't featured so much, it must be good then. Why not read it?

The Cover: 
The cover of the book I'm reading does not have anything it. It doesn't have to fabulous cover of the one on the top. In fact, it was just black and blank with the title. Like this: 

Yeah kind of boring. But once I saw the final cover, I was like this:



The Characters/Plot:
I guess the book started at a high school when Darcy first sees Conn. Or actually know, it kind of starts off with Darcy telling a story, cuz the scene in the beginning actually happens in the middle. Anyways, being me whose always confusing, I shall just introduce the characters first. 

Darcy Jones - Darcy is the main character of the book. She's the reason Conn came. She also turns out to be quite an important source. So Darcy doesn't know what happened to her from when she was born to age 5. At least she doesn't know what happened to her in the beginning. And to make matters worse, Darcy is an orphan who lives with a foster mom. She, like many other orphans, ran away a lot from their foster parents but it turns this single foster mom was actually pretty cool. 

But everything changes when Conn comes. 

What I like about this book is how the romance comes before the action/climax/plot. Like they fall in love first before all the crazy things in this books like Shades and IBI appears.

Conn McCrea - Pretty name. I shall say. LOL. So Conn McCrea (Mc- CRAY) is from the IBI which stands for THe Interdimensional Bureau of of Investigation. Sounds cool. But anyways, Conn comes undercover because his job is to arrest Darcy, who turns out to be a Shade, for being in the human society. His job is to make a quick arrest and bring her to the IBI. He wasn't supposed to get to know her and to fall in love. But he does, like all other books. But one thing special is that the romantic part doesn't last forever. They don't wait until the middle of the book to take action. I guess it was about chapter 10 when McCrea decided it was time for him to arrest her.

Either way, Conn got to know Darcy and he found out that she has absolutely no idea that she isn't human. But he has to follow the protocol and made the arrest anyway. 

I think they're a really cute couple. :) Conn McCrea and Darcy Jones. Although her name is quite plain. But like don't most book couples suit each other? 

In the end (not the end, but the solution of the arresting Darcy problem) the IBI decided they could use Darcy to go to the Shadow Society (where the Shades live) and pretend to be one of them and give the information source to them. Darcy was supposed to pass along information to Conn but somehow she got mad at him and she kind of thinks the shades are no big problem to the society. Until she finds out what the Shades are planning to do. At least some Shades since there are actually good ones......

You know what? I give up explaining the plot. I sound like a dork who has no idea what she's saying. :( I'll just express my opinions. Which I look like this when the book ended:


There's this one quote that was rally funny. Since I kind of got too lazy to do quotes now, but I couldn't resist this one. I gotta share it with you guys.

" -- all I'm going to say is that I don't think you two are going to traipse off into the sunset and have fat, happy babies."


omg...

Rating: (1-10): 8.8

Happy Reading~

1 comment:

  1. Okay. Now that I look back at my book reviews, I sound so so stupid. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!