In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Book Review: Origin by Jessica Khoury

OriginOrigin 
by Jessica Khoury
Release Date: September 4th, 2012
Publisher: RazorBill/Penguin Group
Format: Hardcover, 394 pages
Source: Book Signing @ a bookstore w/Jessica Khoury
ISBN: 978-1-59514-595-6
Get a Copy: 
      Barnes and Nobles
      Amazon

Goodreads Summary: Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.

Cindy's Review:  So for starters, I must express my gratitude towards my friend who recommended me to buy this book. I went to a book signing with my friend and book buddy, Liana. I only brought like $25 with and there were four authors. Marie Lu, Andrea Cremer, Brenna Yovanoff, and Jessica Khoury and I had to decide which book I should buy to get it signed. I already had Marie Lu's legend with me, so I had to decided between three authors. I already read Andrea Cremer's Nightshade, but it was an ebook. Too bad I couldn't get it signed. ;( So I guess in the end it was between two authors. Well, actually my friend was like your choice, whichever book you like to buy, but then she added that Origin was really good. The cover of Origin also looked very appealing so being me, who rely on covers decided Origin seemed like a great book, so I got that one. 

The Cover: 
And well, my judging covers actually helped a lot because once again, that skill did not fail me. This book was such a fabulous fabulous book. OMG. I really love books that aren't a sereis, because I don't have to chase after and wait impatiently for the next book to come. I can get it over with and love it forever. 

So that purple flower the girl is holding on the cover is called elysia. Elysia is the flower that helps create immortality. 

The Characters:
So I really really love how this book is so well put together and everything is crystal clear. The setting of this book takes place in a jungle where the main character, Pia was born and grew up in. The jungle has a lab area called Little Cam that is kept secretly. The government kind of knows but the public doesn't. The lab had been there since 1904 when a flower is discovered that causes immortality. But it has to be passed down five generations for the immortality to start working and Pia is the fifth one. She is what you call perfect.

Pia - Okay, Pia is kind of like this spoiled, but outgoing girl. She's loud, she's the center of attention, but she also has to nerve to defy others and go do her own thing. She always says she's perfect in the beginning. Pia listens to what people tell her to do, like the lab scientists. She has been for 16 years. But now, she's starting to question things. Question what immortality is really about. And what she has to do. And why she has to do it.

Eio -  Eio is like super duper awesome. So in the book, he's buff. :))) And he's like just freakin awesome. He meets Pia around the middle of the book and he tells Pia more about the life outside of Little Cam. Eio's background also had helped Pia a lot. Together, they find out what the scientists are really doing and what it means for the rest of the world.

Aunt Harriet - Aunt Harriet is like a really big part of the story. In the whole Little Cam, Aunt Harriet is the only one Pia can trust. That's right, not even her mother. Harriet covers for Pia when Pia sneaks out to see Eio. I think Aunt Harriet is just awesome even though Pia is annoyed at her at first. Aunt Harriet also encouraged Pia's discovery of what the scientists are doing to her.

The Extras:
I really really love the ending. Omg. It was like most fabulous awesome amazing ending ever. Omg it's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-ly awesome. Okay. I don't get myself, but you get the idea. Honestly, it was like one of the best endings I've ever read. 

The Rating: (1-10): 10! 
That fabulous ending~ 

Happy Reading~
Cindy 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!