In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Friday, March 29, 2013

Book Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1) 
by Alexandra Bracken 
Release Date: December 18th, 2012
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult Dystopia Romance 
Format: Hardcover, 488 pages
Source: Liana/Bought from Walmart
ISBN: 978-1-4231-5797-3
Get a Copy: B&N/Amazon 

Goodreads Summary: When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.


Cindy's Review: Haha. So this book was like a pass-me-down recommendation. It was recommended to my friend Liana from Dalena, therefore Liana bought the book. I heard Dalena give great recommendations and I talked to Dalena so I decided to read the book. (Liana didn't even read it yet. HAHA.)


"Lesson learned! You're falling next time, darlin', because, man, you have a hard head...."
Herher. I love how Liam can joke around even though they're trying to run away. 

The Cover: 
You see that symbol right there? It's the symbol of the government's cruelty towards children. It's the symbol people at the "rehalbilitation camp" and they're evil. Anyways, just by looking at this book and reading the teaser, my friend, Wen said it sounded good. So *winks looks like it's a catchy cover.

"-that is not my child!"
Like omg. Who can forget their baby completely? For a second, I really thought Ruby woke up in the wrong house. LOL.

The Characters: 
RubyWhen Ruby was then, her parents disowned her. Or her parents forgot her. I don't know. Maybe she made her parents forget her. I don't really get that part. But either, on the day of her tenth birthday, she was dragged to concentration camp. There they were classified as colors. Green and Blue were the less dangerous ones. And Yellow and Red were kind of dangerous. But the most dangerous was Orange. Orange can change thoughts, read minds, and control actions. The amazing Slip Kid was Orange. And Ruby? Ruby's Orange but she made others think she was a Green. But Ruby doesn't know how to use her powers.

"Rabbits need dignity and, above all, the will to accept their fate."
This quote can be so random, but in a way, it affects the main character and her decisions. Omg. I like this quote cuz it involves rabbits. I love bunnies. ;D

Liam - This hottie right here is nineteen? I think he's nineteen or was it seventeen. Haha. I forgot. I read too many books to remember. I just know that they're in their teens and their hot. Yep. Such an awesome reader. He's the leader of the group that goes around places with him. In his group, there's a guy named Chubs and an eleven-year-old named Zu. All three of them escaped out of the prison camp children are dumped in. I'm pretty sure Liam is the oldest, therefore he's the leader. Zu was the one who saved Ruby and Chubs don't really like Ruby at first, but Liam insisted that Ruby stayed with them. ;D

"His hand came up to brush the stray strands of hair off the back of my neck."
That's how all relationships starts getting serious. It's either that, or they straight up kiss. I like this version better. :)

The Plot: 
When Ruby was ten, she was dragged away by PSF officers to the Thurmond "rehabilitation camp" among all the other children from 9-16 (I believe). There, she spent six years listening to what people tell her to do. She stays quiet. She makes a friend, named Sam. Six years later, Sam stuck up for her, but Ruby couldn't do anything to save her friend from the torture PSF officers give them. Soon, Ruby was saved by a doctor named Dr.Begbie. 

It turns out Dr. Begbie works for the organization against the camps and she works to save kids like Ruby. But Ruby doesn't trust Begbie (her real name is Kate, I think. Sorry. My memory problems. Omg.) Ruby runs away from Kate and her boyfriend Rob and in the end, she finds Liam's group. Ruby stayed with Liam and yes, they slowly fell in love. Haha. <3 

Both Ruby and Liam wants to find the Slip Kid. Apparently the Slip Kid could provide food and all those resources for kids like them. But when Ruby finally finds him, Ruby soon learns who the Slip Kid really is and what damage he could really do. 

I can't believe I forgot to add Ruby's abilities. Ruby can mind read and control another person's thoughts. She's an Orange. And there aren't much Oranges out there. Perhaps only the Slip Kid and her. Because they're the last few. And only the Oranges can change things all around. 

"I'm so sorry......for everything."
Seems like the sad part is here. Here comes my tears. LOL. 

The Extras:
Ohmergerd, The ending. I could cry. Actually I think I did. Omg. I kind of wish the book ended like so that it would be a sad ending and I could cry and love this book forever. But it's a series, so at least there's a chance for a happy ending. ;)

This book kind of reminds of Graceling by Kristin Cashore. But mind reading and controlling was an ability in Graceling also. And people are also identified through their abilities in both books. ;) And both have awesome romance in it. ;D 

The Rating: (1-10): 9.9!

Happy Reading~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!