In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Monday, March 11, 2013

Book Review: Breathe by Sarah Crossan

Breathe (Breathe, #1)Breathe (Breathe #1)
by Sarah Crossan
Science Fiction 
Release Date: October 2nd, 2012
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Format: Hardcover, 362 pages
Source: Liana Chau
ISBN: 978-0-06-211869-1
Get a Copy:
      Barnes and Nobles
      Amazon

Book Summary: In a barren land, a shimmering glass dome houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered. A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air. And now Alina, Quinn, and Bea - and unlikely trio, each with their own agendas, their own longings and fears - walk straight into the heart of danger. With two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, they leave the dome. What will happen on the third day?

                                                                                 - Provided by publisher

Cindy's Review: I was really surprised I actually got my hands on a book like this. I first met this book....oh I'm so weird.....okay I first learned about this book through a Goodreads ad thing and it seemed oh so very interesting. ;) 

Then one day, my friend and I went to this book signing for Marie Lu, Andrea Cremer, Jessica Khoury, and Brenna Yovanoff (Jealous? LOL. Jk.) and we saw the book selling on the book store!! ;) It was the first book signing I ever went and if you know me, I go nuts when I'm too crazily excited. The Selection was selling.....and omg. Tons of books. Then I saw this book.....and my friend wanted to buy it. So I decided I can just borrow her copy. Yeap. That's how I got it.

Gosh I sound like a kid telling a story. Anyways, I'm really glad I got my hands on this book though.

The Cover: 
So the cover is amazing. I finally understand what a pod looks like. Like in The Giver by Lois Lowry, there also this pod thing and now I can fully understand what it kind of looks like. ;) The book makes the outside world so harsh though.

The Characters/Plot:
So like even though these characters are super awesome, I didn't really connect and cry with them. So sorry if I don't explain enough about them.

Alina - Although there are three main characters, I still feel like Alina was the main main character. I felt like everything revolved around her and there wouldn't really be a story without her. Alina is this strong, smart, leader-ish type of girl, but she's kind of sad and breaking on the inside. Especially after that someone left her life. She is kind of like this decision maker leader thing. Although people look up to her decisions, many contradicts her, so I can't exactly say she is the leader. But out of the three main characters, I think she was the most brave and will walk on a battlefield even though she knows she will die. She is willing to walk to her death to do what's right. 

Quinn - Quinn is like the second main character to me. I mean, he is the guy. And i think he kind of held the group together. Without him, I think Alina would have by herself the whole time. Quinn is the son of this high society general person. So like if you read Pandemonium and Requiem (Lauren Oliver's Delirium series) kind of like Julian. {I just finished Requiem, so therefore my example} . Except I don't despise him like I despise Julian. Well, I didn't really hate Julian but it's all his fault why Lena......okay back to review. About Quinn. Before I get way too carried away. I feel like I'm talking to myself. Omg. So anyways, Quinn is like the glue. He likes Alina but Bea actually likes him a lot. I can say, on the outside Quinn likes Alina but deep down to his core, there's someone else.

Bea - Bea is the third girl on the adventure. At first, I hated her because I thought Quinn and Alina had a chance and Bea was the really annoying, jealous girl, but it turned out Alina wasn't even interested. I guess she just lost too many people in her life to care. At the end, Bea just turned out to be a girl to me.Nothing special. Just the girl. Bea kind of reminded me of Annabeth in the later series (The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan) . I mean Annabeth isn't just a girl to me. Cuz she's like Percy Jackson's girlfriend, but later she became more whiny, and she gets jealous so much and like yeah. But I guess Bea is okay in the end.

So the three of them go out of the pod with two days of oxygen. So in there time, which is the future, so yes, this is a dystopian book. ;D oxygen is running out and special pods had to be created for people to live and people had to buy oxygen to breathe, so therefore the title. 

Quinn and Bea just wanted to go camping but Alina actually had a mission. To get to the people that hadn't listened to the government and created their own little group out there to survive. Alina actually is an agent there. SO yeah. Don 't wanna explain too much so I don't give the whole book away. ;) 

The Extras:
Yeah. Even though I talked a lot about other books. There's more.I'm just that talkative guys. It's a good thing right? :D

So the place Alina is going also reminds me about the Invalids in the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. And all the other outcasts there are in books. SO I forgot what they're called in this book.

Rating: (1-10): 9

Anyways,
Happy Reading~

1 comment:

  1. buy tramadol tramadol dosage equivalent to morphine - tramadol hcl online pharmacy

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!