In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Book Review: To Be Perfectly Honest by Sonya Sones

To Be Perfectly Honest: A Novel Based on an Untrue StoryTo Be Perfectly Honest: A Novel Based on an Untrue Story 
by Sonya Sones
Release Date: Augsut 27th, 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Content: PG-13
ARC Paperback, 728 pages (it was 700 something. I forgot.) 
Attain a Copy:
      B&N | Amazon

Goodreads Summary: Her friends have a joke about her:
How can you tell if Colette is lying?
Her mouth is open.

Fifteen-year-old Colette is addicted to lying. Her shrink says this is because she’s got a very bad case of Daughter-of-a-famous-movie-star Disorder—so she lies to escape out from under her mother’s massive shadow. But Colette doesn’t see it that way. She says she lies because it’s the most fun she can have with her clothes on. Not that she’s had that much fun with her clothes off. At least not yet, anyway…

When her mother drags her away from Hollywood to spend the entire summer on location in a boring little town in the middle of nowhere, Colette is less than thrilled. But then she meets a sexy biker named Connor. He’s older, gorgeous, funny, and totally into her. So what if she lies to him about her age, and about who her mother is? I mean, she has to keep her mother’s identity a secret from him. If he finds out who she really is, he’ll forget all about Colette, and start panting and drooling and asking her for her mother’s autograph. Just like everyone always does. 

But what Colette doesn’t know is that Connor is keeping a secret of his own…

Cindy's Review:
At First Glance/The Cover:
I read this book base on one from my friend's reviews. And since she has the book, I just borrowed it from her. Her review sounded good. The title and teaser sounded good. Why not read?

The Characters/My Opinions:
Colette - She confused the heck out of me. Like she was such a liar, yet, I can't hate her. I mean, there wasn't anything you can hate about her. She described why she was lying and all. And you can kind of step in her shoes and think. If my mom was celebrity, I probably won't be lying all the time. I would like totally embrace my life, of course, until I start to get tired of paparazzi. But that's all a dream. Back with Colette. Bottom line, she lies a lot. Like she was say something. Then she would be like, I lied. That didn't happen at all. And I'm just like, "Gurl! Forreal?!"

Connor - I really thought this guy was legit. I thought Connor was the one for her. He sounded nice and hot and everything. And that one part where every author writes in the teaser ....but Connor is keeping a secret of his own... it usually turns out to be a good secret or a sad one. Or a surprising one, but good and interesting. And doesn't effect the main character's long, lasting romance.

Well, expect a twist. A real big twist. LIKE OMG. When I read it, I was like 'what!' Then I was like 'BAM. SCORE!' Okay. That didn't make sense. But I really liked Sonya's irony on this one. Whoopee. Like if you don't want to read a spoiler, don't read the part where I said the word 'twist'. Too late now. Oops. That was how Colette was. LOL. I admit though, it is kind of fun....but then, it's so mean. 

Overall Thoughts:
Despite the whole thing with the lying character and the un-legit boyfriend, it was really beautifully written. This whole book was written in like poetry form, yet it didn't rhyme or anything. It was a nice story. Like an epic poem. Without the hero. Therefore, don't be scared of that 700 something pages. Or maybe it was 500 something. I really forgot. Omg. 

There was a nicely written, short rhyme poem written in there. I wanted to share it with you guys, cuz the poem was so true, but my friend took back her book.

Oh wells. For those who like some fun, surprising, lovely read, this book is a great one to try! 

The Rating: (1-10): 8

Happy Reading~ 

1 comment:

  1. I kind of agree with you. Having to live under spotlight and your mother's shadow can be very tiring. Like, imagine being Meryl Streep's daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!