In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Book Review: Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)Angelfall (Penryn & The End of Days #1)
by Susan Ee
Release Date: May 21st, 2011
Publisher: Amazon Children's Publishing
Genre: YA Fantasy 
Format: Paperback, 283 pages
Source: Liana
Get a Copy: B&N | Amazon

Goodreads Summary: It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Locus Magazine, March 2012 Finalist for Cybils Bloggers Award for Best YA Fantasy & Sci-fi Book of the Year 2011


Cindy's Review: Yep. This one is another one of the Liana recommendations. ;D This book wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, it involves angels but there was a plot twist. I was really tired of reading about angels, or half-angelsfor that matter, who fell in love with a human. Although this one does have a similar idea, the whole plot thing is different.

"The sky flames like a bruised mango in vivid orange, red, and purple."
I really like this authors writing. She writes so poetic. And so good. ;D 

PenrynThe story starts at the end of the world, where angels are taking over Earth. Ruling Earth. Killing humans. etc. Penryn always thought angels were evil. She still does. When angels took her sister away, she would do anything to get her back. And that involves getting an angel as captive to give her information. 

"The rosy love I'm supposed to feel for her is slashed with black and splattered with gray."
Another example with how Susan's words are so artistic and beautiful.

......okay. I can feel an unfinished review. As much as I tried to like this book, I just can't get to like angels. They annoy me. Sorry guys. I'm sick and tired of angels, vampires, fairies, and anymore of those fictional supernaturals. I think I might need a break from them.

"Skyline Boulevard abruptly ends at Highway...."
Omg. Does this book take place in California? East Bay? Skyline is where my brother got married. LOL. And it leads to my summer school. hmm. But there's no highway 92 around here. 

Raffe -  Although Raffe does sound pretty hot.....

The rating: (1-10): 8
The storyline and plot wasn't so bad, just angels. UGH. 

Happy Reading~ 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you're tired of angels and other supernatural beings! Me, I honestly cannot get enough of them! I craved them at 13 and there were literally so few books out there for my teenage self! I had to resort to--shudders--contemporaries. I don't begrudge people for liking them and I did read some teen ones, but now that I have soooo many paranormal options there will never be another contemp to hit my shelves.

    Glad you enjoyed some of the read as I have this in my TBR mountain and hope to read it one day! Hope your next read is more to your enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess also note that I am now 25. Back at 13 paranormal YA didn't exist so much. There were a few titles but not many and it was when I was 17-18 that I started reading more adult paranormals and about a year or two later is when paranormal YA hit it big!

      Delete

Comments make me happy!