In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)

Shatter Me (Shatter Me#1)
by Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: November 15th, 2011
Publisher: Harper
Format: ebook, 338 pages
Source: ePubBud
ISBN: 978-0-062-08548-1
Get a Copy: 
      Barnes and Nobles
      Amazon

Goodreads Summary: Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Cindy's Review: I've seen this book feature in so many blogs and they all say it's so good, so I decided to give it a try. Let me tell you one thing, I REALLY REALLY didn't regret this one. This kind of book is like the ones I chase so much over, those dystopian novels that knock me down to my knees. I LOVE DYSTOPIAN!! So those dystopian fans out there who loves Delirium, Divergent, Legend, The Maze Runner, and Matched, this one's for you!!! 

The Cover:
I really can't say anything about the cover and title. I think the cover is okay. I mean, I get how the cover is like shattered, but I don't really get the title. If I just saw the cover and read the title, I probably wouldn't have picked up the book, but from all those awesome reviews I seen, I definitely decided to pick it up because of the contents. Now I have another book to recommend to my whole list of dystopian books!

The Characters/Plot:
Juliette Farrer - I forgot how to spell her last name. LOL. So the books start off where Juliette is inside her prison cell. She has been in there for 264 days, without saying a word and doing anything; just looking out the window. And dreaming about a flying bird. She is locked up inside the prison cell because she is supposingly insane. But she isn't. She just has abnormal abilities, which is when she touches someone, they will go into a seizure like thing and die. They called her freak, her parents gave her up, and now she's been locked up for about 3 years (not in the same place). She is now 17.

Truthfully, I don't like the name Juliette very much. It just reminds me of this tomboy woman who likes boxing and it also reminds me of this super romantic Romeo and Juliet play. No offense to the Juliette's or Juliet's out there.

Adam Kent - The next day, Day 265 of Juliette's non-speaking, Adam comes in to be her new cellmate. Juliette remembers Adam as in the nice boy back then who was the only person who treated her like a human. The Adam that I guess, she used to like. But it turns out Adam is actually a soldier of Warner. 

Warner - I don't remember his first name. So Warner is 19 and he inherited his father's Sector 45 or soldier or land or whatever I forgot. He was interested in Juliette and decided to make into a war weapon, to help me advanced and gain more power. Warner sounds deep, sinister, and evil, but I have a little pang of sympathy for him. I don't know why but sometimes he is just normal. Most of the time, or more like 23 hours and 59 minutes in a day, he's sinister and evil.

Despite Juliette not wanting to kill people and be a war weapon, Warner keeps her stuck, trapped, and controlled. But when Juliette later finds out the real reason Adam is in the army, she have doubts to trust Adam or not. Later, Juliette decided to trust Adam and together, they tried to escape and embark the long way out, trying to run away from Warner's reach. Juliette meats James, whom is Adam's younger brother along the way and Adam's fellow soldier friend, Kenji also helps them find a safe place.

Book Comparisons:
Okay. You don't know how much books this books reminds me of. First of all. Adam is like reminding me of three different people right now. First of all, his name reminds me of Eve and Adam (the real set, not the book). And from the book Eve and Adam, I didn't feel quite connected to him, so when I first knew his name was Adam, my reaction was like 'ugh. Another Adam.' But I swear up and down this time he's super hot. ;D Also, at the same time, I was reading a book called Drawn To You by Janel Rodriguez Ferrer, which I recently received in the mail. ;) And there was an Adam in there. He also sounds pretty okay looking. 

Then, Adam reminds me of Alex from Delirium because of that one scene. I can't say anything because that scene is a cliffhanger ending for Delirium. Plus, they both sounds goddamn gorgeous. And eyes were mentioned in both books. So I guess they both have really nice eyes. And they're names are similar. LOL. 

Adam also reminds me of Four from Divergent by Veronica Roth because both guys have to listen to the evil guy and follow their directions. Also, while Adam and Juliette secretly like each other at night and pretend not to know each other by day, so does Four and Tris in Divergent. Kind of. So, they're kinda like friends-with-benefits, just don't go too far on that phrase. 

And running away together reminds of me once again, Delirium. Like how Alex and Lena ran away. It's amazing how I remember all these character names, considering how much books I read, but they are my all time favorites. Okay. Enough with the book comparisons.

The Ending:
Hmmmm....they are safe, for now. Hope I didn't spoil too much just by saying that. I made it hidden so you don't have to read it.  But I really can't wait to see what happen after.

The Bad:
Are you kidding me. Are is it even bad? It was kinda short compared to Delirium and Divergent but I know I loved!!

The Good:
AHHHHHH! I LOVE DYSTOPIAN BOOKS! SO DUHH IT"S PERFECT! 

Rating: (1-10): 9.9!
It hit me hard enough to give it a 0.1 from a ten. Thank god there was no love-triangles. Not really. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, because I was reading this on my new Nook, I just had to do some quotes. ;D

" 'And you're a girl.' He cocks an eyebrow..."
I sense romance o.0 ;) This is like the second page of the book and I already sense romance. Just the 'cocking the eyebrows' part and I know they're meant to be together. And I was!

"Gorgeous. Dangerous."
Aren't they always? Like Alex? ;D If you're gorgeous, you gotta be dangerous too. Like Day from Legend ;) 

"My parents emptied their pockets of me and left to evaporate on a concrete slab"
Ugh. Such horrible parents. 

"Cellmate has a nice name."
I swear she's doing a report on 'cellmate' LOL.

" 'Go to sleep.'
   'Go to hell.'
   'I'm working on it.' "
Trolol. You gott love Warner sometimes. Not.

Okay. That's it! Happy Reading~

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful, wonderful book! I'm glad you loved it as much as I did! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!