In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Monday, February 11, 2013

Book Review: Invisible Lines by Mary Amato

Invisible LinesInvisible Lines 
by Mary Amato 
Release Date: November 24th, 2009
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Format: Paperback, 299 pages
Source: John Muir Middle School Library
ISBN: 978-16068-40108
Get a Copy: 
      Barnes and Nobles
      Amazon

Goodreads Summary: If there’s one thing I’m good at it’s making people laugh because when I’m standing up I’m what you call a stand-up comedian, and when I’m sitting down, I’m just plain funny.  
 
Trevor is just plain funny, and he’s lucky he is. Because this year he needs a sense of humor. Moving to a new home is hard enough—the sign reads hedley gardens, but everyone calls these projects deadly gardens. And the move to a fancy new school is even harder—all the kids from Deadly Gardens seem to be in the same classes and keep to themselves, but somehow Trevor’s ended up in an advanced science class with kids who seem to have everything, and know everything, including how to please their strange new teacher.

Someone else might just give up, but Trevor has plans. This is going to be his year.  And he is going to use whatever he has, do whatever it takes, to make it at this new school. He may not have what these other kids have, but Trevor knows he’s got some stuff to show. No one is better at juggling in soccer, and he knows he can draw—he calls himself the Graffiti Guy. 

But Xander, a star in the classroom and on the soccer field, has other plans for Trevor. He doesn’t like anyone trespassing on his turf and begins to sabotage Trevor at every opportunity. Who is going to believe Trevor over the school star? Is there any way that Trevor can achieve his goals against a guy who is as good at bullying as he is at everything else he does?

Book Review:  This is another one of the CYRM nominees. This book is going against Wild Things and Out of My Mind. I'm having a hard time choosing between Out of My Mind and this book. Both is very well-written. And both is very written very deeply. But I think I would choose this book despite everything. It connects to me the most. Even though Out of My Mind connects to me a lot too, I didn't cry as much in that book. Yeah. I grade how connected I am to a book by my crying. LOL. Jk. 

The Cover:
I think this book cover is really bright an eye-catchy. And I totally get how it connects to the story.

The Characters/Plot: 
The main character is named Trevor Musgrove. He is an awesome artist and plays soccer really well. He's pretty cool as a person. But the only thing that holds him back is that his family is poor. His mother is a single mother who also have two more kids. Trevor has one little brother whose five and a little sister whose two.

Trevor had just moved to another new place even worse than the last place he lived in. This new apartment is called Deadly Gardens where all the poor kids in his school lived. Trying to have a new start, Trevor tries to blend in with the popular, rich kids. He fits in all right. He;s pretty funny, he's cool, and he's talented. But he has to hide how poor he is. 

Immediately, Trevor begins to hang out with the most popular boys in the school, Xander and Langley. Langley pretty cool and awesome despite how rich he is. If I was in the book, I"ll probably start liking Langley. 

Everything was cool when Trevor begins to show others his skills. Of course other people were like "Cool You're better than Xander!" And Xander who is the conceited, soccer star got jealous of Trevor and does his best to bring Trevor down.

In the end, Xander almost succeeded, but with his wits, Trevor outwits Xander without making Xander more mad at him. 

And you're probably wondering what the heck there is to cry about in this book. Well, I was crying because of Trevor's argument with his mom. It's just sad. Okay. Or maybe I cry too easily. 

The Extras: 
So yeah. I'm choosing this book for the Middle School section!

And just in case you want to see the CYRM list, here it is: http://californiayoungreadermedal.org/Nominees2012-2013.pdf

The Rating: (1-10): 9

Happy Reading~

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're facing a tough decision between two well-written and deeply impactful books, "Out of My Mind" and the other CYRM nominee. It's clear that both books have resonated with you on a personal level, but ultimately, the one you're leaning toward holds a deeper connection, evoking strong emotions, as evidenced by the tears it brought about. Choosing a book based on the emotional impact it has on you is a valid and personal criterion. Trust your instincts and go with the book that has touched you more profoundly—it's a unique and personal reading experience that matters most to you. Happy reading! Call of Duty Black Ops 1 Download

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!