In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books In This World of Books

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Book Review: Never Say Never by Kailin Gow

Never Say Never (Never Knights, #1)Never Say Never (Never Knights #1)
by Kailin Gow
Release Date: August 13th, 2012
Publisher: theEDGEbooks.com
Format: ebook, 245 pages
ISBN: 978-1-5974-8016-1
Get a Copy:
      Barnes and Nobles
      Amazon (the ebook is just $0.99!)

Goodreads Summary: What girl wouldn't want to be surrounded by the sexy guys from the hottest teen rock sensation in the country? 18-year-old Never "Neve" Knight, not only is surrounded by the hottest boys to hit the music charts, but she is the band's lead singer. As the band's lead singer and manager, Never formed and shaped the band to where it is today, a band on the rise and on the brink of being signed by a label. As one of the guys, she knew each of the band members since they were all snot-nose ten-year-olds. While her boys were the cutest guys and they would protect her like knights, she couldn't date any one of them and ruin the chance at being signed with the record label of her dreams. 

That changes when one of the band members suddenly drops out of the band, and in walks Danny Blue, with his dreamy blue eyes, hot body, and British accent. Suddenly, Never's solid world has turned to mush, and her rule for not dating one of her band members is seriously challenged. Can she keep her head straight and get her band signed with a label without losing her heart?

Cindy's Review: So, I first saw this book on netgalley. I just learned about netgalley like two days ago and I started exploring. And I came across Kailin Gow's Never Say Never. As you know, I'm a Kailin Gow fan now. ;) I decided to check out the teaser and see if I should request it. The teaser worked terrifically, so terrifically that I wanted to read it that instant. I knew I probably won't get the book even if I requested it, since it is one of the most requested books, so I decided to check up on Amazon, and Barnes and Nobles. Bingo! It was only $0.99 on Amazon, so I bought it! ;D

The Cover:
The cover makes novel have a cool, spunky look that attracts readers. But I must say the teaser certainly does. Although normally, I don't go for New Adult books, this book just had that attraction to it. The romance really isn't that bad, although I did end up skipping some erotic scenes, not that I couldn't live up to it, but Danny Blue is okay to me. Not my most favorite guy.

The Characters:
Never Say Never is about a band called Never Knights. The band has 5 people in it. And Neve is the leader. She is also the only girl. And she is the daughter of the famous rock star, Keith Knights. Not wanting to use her father's influence to gain her image, she decided to secretly start a band without anyone knowing she is related to Keith Knights. The only people who knows her identity is her four band mates. The guys she had hung out with since elementary school. 

To me, one of the most important band member is Kyle. Even though the band is very close and they're all like siblings, I find Kyle the most close to Never AKA Neve. He's like her best friend. They knew each other since forever. He eats dinner with Neve and her family. He also basically, lives next door to her, since his aunt is the Knights's housekeeper. And coincidentally, my neighbor is also named Kyle. LOL. 

Then, the next one mentioned a lot is Geoff. I think Neve likes him the least. Neve's one rule is to never date her band mates. They are off limits. Geoff, though, somehow doesn't care about that rule and continuously, hits on Neve.  It's gets disgusting and all, so when he was drunk and got his arm broken, The Never Knights had to get a new guitarist. 

Luc is the third most mentioned. Since he actually kissed Neve because he likes her. Oh, Kyle likes her too, so they almost had a fight over her. Luc isn't that bad. I don't really remember much about him though, since he was just there. LOL.

Steve is like the only one in the band who doesn't like Neve, in that kind of way. That's why he's like my favorite character. It's not that I don't like Neve but at least there's one person here with some sense and isn't going crazy over Neve. 

Finally, Danny Blue. He is rich. Apparently, he is the one the richest celebrities, Clarence Blue's son. He also, like Neve, wanted to shape his own life and not live under his father's expectations. Danny Blue takes over Geoff's spot in the band, when Geoff hurt his hand. And coincidentally, Danny Blue is also the TA to one of Neve's professors. That means she sees him double amounts of time everyday. According to Neve, Danny Blue is gorgeous, etc. Personally, other guys, ewww.....I don't care how hot they are. They are too old. Neve is only eighteen. 

That's still why I think Kyle is a better choice for Neve, even though I find him kind of clingy. I don't feel any connections with the guy characters in the story so I can't say whose the best for Neve. Just no connection. I mean, Danny Blue would have been okay, but he was younger. Like 19 or something. According to the author, he 's in his late twenties. Ewww. I don't like when the main characters' ages are too far apart. It's just disgusting to me.  Even though I fandom about Logan Lerman and my kpop guys, but yannoe, they're celebrities! (Even Danny Blue is one, I can't stand Neve thinking of him that way. Ew.)

The Plot:
So after the large amount of time judging the guys, you guys kinda get the idea of the plot right? I mean, it's basically explained in the Goodreads summary. LOL, So, despite Neve's rule of never dating any guys in her band, she couldn't help but fall in love and feel attracted to Danny Blue. And when that isn't bad enough, Neve soon discovers that two other band mates besides Geoff, likes her. Like are you flippin serious? Omg. Is Neve that pretty? No offense. LOL. But really those guys need to learn how to hide their feelings more and not act like dogs that have food displayed right in front of them. 

Book Comparisons:
This book reminds me a bit of Beg for Mercy by Shannon Dermott. The whole love-pentagon thing. Except in Beg for Mercy, who the girl ends up with is less obvious then Never Say Never. We already know Neve ends up with Danny, no question, since the blurb said, how will she deal with this love with Danny, not how will she deal with 4 guys liking her. 

The Ending: 
Yeah. She ended up with Danny, but there are more question marks then answers. Like what happens with the rest of her life and the band. The band almost got broken up because of the romance between its members. I kind of want Neve to end up dying like Danny's ex-girlfriend, Peyton. Not to be mean or anything, but sometimes, we need some sad endings. I mean, if every book has a happy ending, then life should be easy-peasy instead of all the hardships in it. 

The Bad:
Ermm.. Danny's age. I don't know his specific age, but he's way too old for her. Probably why it's New Adult but still. Even I fandom about the older celebrities (which are at most 25, BTW), I don't think about them that way. And I DON'T dream of dating them or marrying them, because there are younger celebrities for that. (Not Justin Bieber BTW. And I'm not a hater. I'm just not crazy over him. Or One Direction, even though they are kinda good looking...but I know some even younger ones ;D) Okay. Move on before I get to celebrity-crazy.

The Good:
It really wasn't that bad of a new adult novel. The sense scenes aren't that descriptive. Like way over board descriptive like Fifty Shades of Grey (Trust me, I really didn't know it would be like that when I downloaded the book. I only saw it bestselling at Costco, okay?) But I did skip it a little, because Danny Blue isn't that hot to me, no matter what Neve thinks, and I wanted to see what happened next. 

Rating: (1-10): 8.6
Yahnoe, my average rating, despite it being Kailin Gow, maybe some YA would be more appreciated. LOL. I can't say I regretted reading it though.  

Happy Reading~

1 comment:

  1. I have not read anything by Kailin Gow, although I have seen some good reviews of her work. This seems a lot different than some of her other things that I have read about. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!